Grab your rum and your tequila and let’s make this delicious coconut margarita that is a great twist on the classic Mexican cocktail.
If you’re looking for a delicious and refreshing drink to cool down during the warmer months, look no further than this rum and tequila margarita!
We all know about the classic margarita made with tequila but you can take it up a notch with the addition of coconut rum for a tropical taste that will have you dreaming of the beach in no time.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my Disclosure for more information
Margaritas are a popular drink, and there are many variations of the recipe.
Personally I am huge fan of coconut cocktails so this coconut rum margarita is the perfect drink for a summer day. It is also one of my favorite Cinco de Mayo drinks to wash down my tacos and empanadas.
The rum and tequila margarita is a refreshing drink that can be enjoyed any time of year.
Coconut Rum Margarita Ingredients
The classic margarita is made with tequila, lime juice, and orange liqueur. Margaritas can be made with or without salt on the rim of the glass.
The rum and tequila margarita is a refreshing twist on the classic.
Our version stays true to the original definition, with a few tweaks to make it refreshing and perfect for any time of year.
The ingredients for making and Rum and Tequila margarita are simple!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Coconut Rum
- Lime Juice
- Orange liqueur (Triple Sec)
- Sweet and Sour Mix (margarita mix)
- Coconut water
More variations: If you don’t have coconut rum, you can use plain white rum instead to make a rum and tequila margarita.
Equipment Needed To Make A Margarita
The only tool you’ll need to make this cocktail:
I have this fantastic glass cocktail shaker from Amazon. If you don’t have a cocktail shaker, you can use a mason jar with a lid.
If you want to make more of a frozen margarita then you will need a blender to make shaved ice.
Use the shaved ice in your glass instead of ice cubes for step 2 below.
How To Make The Coconut Rum Margarita
Step 1: Combine the ingredients
Combine the ingredients with ice in a cocktail shaker. Shake for around 15 seconds,
Step 2: Strain into a glass
Add fresh ice to your margarita glass and strain the mixture in
Step 4: Stir and serve
How To Garnish Your Rum and Tequila Margarita
You can create an easy rim on your margarita glass either with classic salt or with shredded coconut. For both options, dip your glass in simple syrup.
Then dip your glass in either the salt or a bowl of shredded coconut and set aside before making your glass.
Margaritas are a popular drink, and there are many different variations. One of the most popular is the rum and tequila margarita.
This drink is made by combining rum and tequila with lime juice, coconut water and Triple Sec.
It is served frozen or on the rocks, and can be made with either a salted or unsalted rim.
- 1 oz Tequila
- 1 oz Coconut Rum
- 1/2 oz Triple Sec
- 1/2 oz lime juice
- 1.5 oz Sweet and sour mix
- 1/5 oz Coconut water
- Combine the ingredients with ice in a cocktail shaker. Shake for around 15 seconds,
- Add fresh ice to your margarita glass and strain the mixture in
- Serve immediately
To rim your margarita glass, dip the rim in simple syrup or lime juice then into your rimming salt.
Set aside for a few minutes before pouring your drink.
Looking for more easy cocktail recipes?
Looking beyond the mojito, here are some of our most popular cocktails
- The Elsa Cocktail This electric blue combination of coconut rum and vodka is the perfect treat on a “Frozen” day.
- The Best Lime Rickey Recipe Here are the keys to the very best Gin Rickey. If you love botanical drinks, you will love this classic cocktail.
- Sake Bomb Drink This popular cocktail is all about the wow factor! Check out the video to see why.
- Peppermint Bark Mimosa Here’s the best mimosa recipe! This holiday classic is great at any time of year.
- Maple Whiskey Sour – a twist on the classic whiskey sour, this one uses maple syrup instead of sugar.